The IPA is focused on:
- Mobilizing leaders from all sectors to fuel African innovation
- Promoting innovation across Africa in key sectors through the competition
- Promoting science, technology and engineering as a rewarding,career path among African youth.
- Encouraging entrepreneurs, innovators, funding bodies and business development service providers to exchange ideas and explore innovative business opportunities.
By providing USD 150,000 to winners who deliver market-oriented solutions for African-led development, the IPA acknowledges and encourages the endeavor of innovators and entrepreneurs and works to raise their profiles on the development agenda.
IPA 2014 consists of three prizes:
- USD 100,000 for the winner with the best innovation based on marketability, originality, scalability, social impact, utility/technical aspect and clear business potentials
- USD 25,000 for the runner-up with the best commercial/business potential and
- USD 25,000 for the Special Prize for Social Innovation with the highest social impact in the community/country.