Sable’s parent Masawara Plc owns 70% of the project while Tatanga holds the remaining 30%.
According to Sable Chemicals chief executive, Bothwell Nyajeka, feasibility studies for the project were now complete and the company was seeking a license from the Zimbabwe Energy Regulation Authority (Zera).
The joint venture has already secured land under Zibagwe Rural District Council to establish what they call the Katanga Solar Farm, he said.
“Our feasibility studies in terms of radiation have shown that the area is the best for such a project,” he said.
The project would initially produce 50 megawatts and production would increase gradually to 400 megawatts when it is complete, Nyajeka added.
Zimbabwe requires between 160,000 and 180,000 tons of ammonium nitrate per annum. Before the decommissioning of its plant, Sable Chemicals used more than 100 megawatts of power, but now less than 10 megawatts were being used — a sharp decline.