Job descriptionPlease note: Our client is an equal opportunity employer and all applications are considered within their Employment Equity policy
Applications close: 15 September 2017
Please note that Talent Brand is exclusively retained to manage this campaign. All applications and enquiries can be made to Talent Brand directly. We look forward to engaging with you!
SUSTAINABILITY AND EXTERNAL REPORTING MANAGER
Our clients is one of the most admired branded consumer packaged goods company in emerging markets and is the largest FMCG group in Africa.
The role of Sustainability and External Reporting Manager sits within the Group Corporate Affairs funtion and reports to the Group Corporate Affairs Director. The Corporate Affairs vision is to “Ignite, inspire and influence the experience of our client as an admired corporate citizen with a strong legal and social licence to operate. Making our client ‘a force for good’ by contributing positively to the economy and society”
We are looking for an individual with exceptional foresight, who can identify ahead of time the social and environmental risks or opportunities that may be relevant in the near, medium and long term. You are a subject matter expert on relevant policy, environmental, economic development, innovation principles or other factors impacting on an organisations ability to pursue sustainable business practices.
THE JOB AT A GLANCE
You will drive and coordinate corporate sustainability (environmental, social and governance issues) with measurable outcomes in all areas of corporate sustainability reporting to contribute to the organisation’s objective of making the group a “force for good” and establishing the group as a leader in sustainability in South Africa.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Develop, implement and manage an integrated, cross-divisional, multi-site group sustainability strategy that focuses on people, planet, products and society
• Support the organization in driving initiatives that reduce the impact of our business on the planet; this to include multiple environmental metrics such as energy, carbon emissions, water, product stewardship, waste and social impact
• Enable sustainability into processes and functional departments across the organization
• Build awareness and understanding of the Group’s sustainability strategy among employees and key external audiences, including but not limited to the development of materials for employee education and engagement
• Drive the undertaking of initial baseline studies and ongoing tracking and improvement of a comprehensive set of environmental performance metrics for all the Group’s operations. This also includes conducting socio-economic and environmental evaluations of potential investments
• Aggregate all environmental performance data from all the Groups operations, systems and sources into a master scorecard of environmental metrics
• Convert aggregated metrics as necessary to align with the exact metrics required by various external reporting surveys including but not limited to: Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), Dow Jones Sustainability Index, FTSE4Good, and GRI
• Lead the planning, development and delivery of the sustainability annual report and sustainability reporting in different reporting mediums, including company intranet, corporate website and digital channels- internally and externally- in collaboration with the group’s communications and stakeholder relations teams
• Manage the Group’s submissions to sustainability survey requests from investors, customers, regulators and NGOs
• Identify environmental hotspots where focus on environmental improvement will accelerate achievement of the Group’s environmental goals
• Continuously evaluate new products, services, technologies and processes to ensure maximum improvement in environmental performance with minimal incremental investment
• Develop, nurture and coordinate a cohesive, effective cross-functional sustainability team
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCES
Please note: Only candidates who meet the criteria below will be considered
- A relevant business degree
• A business relevant degree
• A minimum of 8-10 years prior experience in Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) aspects of sustainability
• Prior experience in sustainability data management
• Prior experience with sustainability reporting standards such as CDP, GRI, etc.
• Foresight: identify ahead of time the social and environmental risks or opportunities that may be relevant in the near, medium and long term
• Leadership: demonstrated people management, excellent communication skills, and prior success in building and fostering stakeholder relationships at all levels
• Proven project management capabilities
• Self-starter who stays current on sustainability trends and applies knowledge to improve the business
• Subject matter expertise of relevant policy, environmental, economic development, innovation principles or other factors impacting an organization's ability to pursue sustainable business practices